Sunday, March 19, 2017

Here I Go AGAIN

     I seem to stop and start this blog every few years. This time, though, I'm REALLY going to complete a triathlon.

      What's the difference this time? I'm a 45 year old, mildly (?) obese woman. I had a life changing surgery in August, 2016. Some would call it elective, I call it necessary for my continued health. I had a breast reduction! 2.5 pounds were removed from each breast. That's a full five pound sack of potatoes removed from my front! The difference in my ability to move around is amazing. It used to be so difficult just to stand up from a seated position because my chest was so heavy. Now I can run short distances in only a bathing suit top (and bottom.) Before, I used to have to put on a compression bra which made it difficult to breathe, because it was constricting my chest so much to keep me from bouncing everywhere. I still weigh roughly the same, but my movement is so much freer.

     I've actually paid for a tri registration! I'm going to compete in the Crystal River Triathlon Series Race #3 on September 30, 2017. I figure this gives me at least 5 months to train. The 1/4 mile swim should be a breeze. That's about 16 laps in a 25 yard pool, and I can bust out at least 26 without even trying. 15 miles biking on a flat Florida road should be ok. It's the 5k running that I'm starting to dread. I can walk for miles and miles and miles, but running is something I've never done successfully because of my chest. I have a couch to 5k program I've started and abandoned so many times. I'm going to ease into running by starting a 15 second run, followed by 45 second walk to get my blood pumping.

     My little secret is that I am, in fact, insanely competitive. I like winning. I used to swim competitively as a kid. (Shout out to Flourtown Swim Club and Plymouth Whitemarsh Aquatic Club!) I am entering this tri as a novice, although I could also qualify as an Athena. Athena is a nice term for heavier than 150 pounds. Since I am heavier than 150 pounds, AND it's my first time, I decided to compete as a novice. Will I win my category? Let's hope they take age into consideration when awarding novice medals!

     Thanks for following my journey. See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment