Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Swimming!

I woke up again this morning and exercised! I figured out that 54 laps in my tiny pool equals 1/3 mile, the length of the swim portion of the triathlon. So, I did the 54 laps! It was a combination of freestyle and breaststroke, with some pauses in between to reassure Noah that I was still around.

Noah woke up the minute I got out of bed this morning at 6:30am. He cried until Craig brought him outside and sat him on a chair on our patio, so he could watch me swim. He watched me avidly, wanting waves and verbal reassurance that I was close to him. *Sigh* This is what makes exercise so hard to do these days. Noah won't be comforted by anyone, including his daddy. It's me or tears. So I can't do the gym. I was hoping that I would be able to slide out of bed and exercise before he noticed, but that doesn't seem to be working. Craig is just going to comfort him as best he can while I (selfishly?) take time out to exercise so I can be healthy for him and for me.

Next up, running 1.5 miles tomorrow. I'll bike on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth, you are being an awesome Mom by meeting Noah's needs as well as you are. I really believe that it makes kids more independent later if we meet their needs when they are little (even if those needs seem unreasonable at the time). At least that is what I tell myself when I am snuggling with a kicky 3 year old in the middle of the night.
    That said, you are not selfish to be trying to exercise. Noah may be unhappy, but he in not alone and he is not actually harmed by you taking this teeny tiny bit of time for yourself. I know it is practically impossible as a Mother to not feel guilty, but try your best. You are the opposite of selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zoe. I share the same philosophy about meeting needs early in childhood. I'm really trying to meet his needs, and I think his watching me will be a happy medium. I suppose I could take him in the jogging stroller with me, but I hate using it and it's too hot to run when he's truly awake. Heck, I don't even close doors when going to the bathroom, because he needs to know where I am! I just hope it all pays out when he's a teen and avoids bad stuff because I met his needs as a baby...

    ReplyDelete