Sunday, April 4, 2010

Beach Walking

We're down in Surfside (just north of Miami Beach) visiting Craig's parents for a few days. I got a chance to go walking this morning by myself. My in-laws live a half-mile from the beach, so it was a no-brainer! I walked to the beach, then a mile on the sand itself, then back to the house. Blue skies, gentle breeze, rotting fish smell... There were thousands of dead jellyfish washed up on shore, so it was a little aromatic in the beginning, but I quickly got used to it. I love hearing the waves breaking on shore and the water was such a vivid teal! Plus sand walking is tough and uses different muscles. I got almost a 2 mile walk today, better than yesterday which was a travel day. The only walking was through Ikea on the way down...

I definitely need new sneaks. Forget last week and the stair walking. I've encountered no stairs in the past couple of days, and a couple of minutes into the walk, my calves started hurting again. I really am going to buy new shoes soon!

And I'm going to end on a rant. Part of me hates coming down to Miami. I am voluptuous, Reubenesque, pleasingly plump, whatever. And I feel so damned self-concious down here. I know it sounds terribly self-centered, but I imagine every passerby laughing at how fat I am. Ugh. I'm almost 39. When will I stop being held hostage by my terrible body image? I don't want to be 70 and still worried that I look fat. I'm glad I don't have any daughters, because how can i teach body love and acceptance when I don't have it for myself? Part of the reason I want to do this triathlon is to lose weight so I can fit into a cute clothes and not feel fat. I wish I could just love my body. I'm very lucky and happy to be married to a wonderful man who loves me and my body. Why can't I do the same?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthie, I struggle with the exact same issues. I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know that your are so not alone in this!
    hugs,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zoe. It's so frustrating to feel this way! I guess I just have to let it go. Easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth! I'm catching up on all your posts, so I have to add as well that you're not alone! I feel the same way about my body. For me, it's just really hard to get motivated to exercise since I miss ballet so much (tight budget, so no classes for me). But I'm going to set a goal for myself and try to stick to it gosh darn it! Your posts are very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete